Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Small Print

“Why won’t you do this for me? You’ve done it in the past.” Harold glared at the demon, who studiously filed his nails into perfect points. He spared Harold a glance.

“It’s the new TOS that was came into effect last month,” he said. “You simply don’t have the level of service that entitles you to that. Not any more.”

“But it was never a problem before.”

“Contracts change.”

“I never agreed to a change in my contract.” Harold was almost pleading.

“You did, I’m afraid. Clause 5178/B subsection H in your original contract stated that the Terms of Service wire subject to revision at any time without prior approval and would be retrospectively backdated.” Jasfoup patted him on the back. “Sorry, old chum.”

“All I wanted was someone to scrub my back.” Harold picked up the loofah and turned around so that his back was to the stream of water.

The demon coughed and looked away from the sudden full frontal view of his friend. “I’m sorry,” he said. “That now comes under the heading of ‘Personal Erotic Services’ and has to be performed by at least a class three Lustful.” He shrugged. “It’s out of my hands. Of course, if you want me to flay the skin off altogether, I’m all for it.”

“No thanks, I’m rather attached to it.” Harold narrowed his eyes. “Wait a minute.‘Retrospectively backdated,’ you said. Backdated from when?”

Jasfoup coughed. “Next month,” he said. “As soon as I’ve written it.”

© Rachel Green 2007

No comments: