Sunday, August 26, 2007

Heavenly Debate

Felicia dropped a book on the table. It landed face down, showing the quotation:

"You might as well fall flat on your face as lean over too far backwards" James Thurber

“Isn’t that the dichotomy of Heaven and Hell?” Julie looked up, her mouth full of supermarket brand cornflakes.

“Possibly.” Felicia sliced into her rare steak. “I only took Philosophy as a filler course for my degree, but the concept of looking up to the sky against having you face in the mud is a popular one. It’s elaborated upon by thousands of second class religious teachers who try to terrorise their kids into believing everything from brushing your teeth the right way to not masturbating will get you into Heaven.”

“I suppose.” Julie looked blank. “I actually meant supermarket brand cornflakes as opposed to Kelloggs.”

2 comments:

liz fenwick said...

I just spewed (spelling?) my coffee :-) You never cease to make me laugh!

Leatherdykeuk said...

I'm glad :)

Thanks for commenting, Liz.