Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Ten things I like about myself

Ten things I like about myself, without being funny or disparaging, which rather makes my thought of answering with “Ummm…” rather pointless and not at all funny.

1. My dedication to passions.
Whatever my current passion, I throw myself wholeheartedly into it. At present it happens to be writing and Eastern Martial arts, prior to that it was writing and rapier, before that writing and BDSm, and before that Art and BDSm. I can generally sustain a passion for a few years before I hit my maximum level of expertise and look for something else.

2. My memory.
I can consciously delete files from my memory. People that upset me, or people that have no positive impact on my life cease to exist for me. There are several hundred people who will have met me that I no longer have any knowledge about.

3. Selective Hearing
I can tune out a conversation right in front of me, as long as it’s between two other people and not me. Conversely, and to my detriment, I can be driven to screaming pitch if two conversations are going on.

4. My kindness to animals
Do I have to explain this one? I thought not.

5. My ability to see the potential in the writings of others.
It may be a piece of crap, but when faced with a piece of writing I can see through the future drafts to what a truly great piece of prose it could be. I remember how rubbish I was when I began writing and can see a career progression in others.

6. My intuitive approach to construction.
It may not look pretty, but whatever I build will be artistic and well made. I’m planning to build an outdoor office next year. I’ll order a load of wood and build it on the fly without plans, incorporating whatever I can scrounge and find. And it will stand for years.

7. Neither side of my brain is dominant.
I can do mathematics and English. That might not seem like something to be proud of, but I meet so many people who can do one or the other, but not both, that I think it something to be proud of.

8. Internalisation.
I can rationalise my way out of a paper bag. Seriously, if I can avoid reacting to something when it happens, I can think it through until it ceases to bother me. Jealousy for example. I live in a polyamorous family and can rationalise me way past feeling jealous when one of my partners falls in love with another. Conversely, if something upsets me and I have an hour or two to myself, I can avoid being emotional about it until I can explain what the problem was with logical precision.

9. I have an active imagination.
Essential for a fiction writer, I can create three dimensional characters in my head and imbue them with a personality that isn’t my own. Not all of my characters have a little bit of me in them.

10. I am a Jack of all Trades.
I can do pretty much anything I set my mind to, to a greater or lesser degree. I can mend a cistern but not fit a toilet, build a shed but not a house, quote the bible, but not enter a church.

Not tagging anyone with this. It’s a tough one to do.

3 comments:

Kat said...

Brilliant!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

It looks like a tough one for sure. I just read Maht's, as well, and as with his I feel I know you a little better now. I might give it a go myself next time I'm stuck for an idea for a blog post.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thanks Zinnia. I should have credited Maht with the source.