Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Hollow Praise


Miss Camberwick leafed through the drawers. “I have the records here somewhere, Mr. Waterman. I’m afraid that since I retired things have become a little muddled.”

Harold took a slow look around the room. Boxes were piled on boxes, every one of them spilling letters and files onto the floor with chaotic abandon. They must have been stacked here for years. “When did you retire, Madam?” he said. “You hardly look old enough.”

“Flatterer.” Miss Camberwick turned and adjusted her glasses to see his expression. “Last July, officially, although I’m still doing the odd day of relief for the the new headmaster.” She tutted. “Head teacher, I should say now.” She returned to the task of finding the school year book for 1994.

A dislodged box dropped a sheet of paper like a falling maple leaf to the floor. Harold picked it up and read the short note.

Deer Missez Candulwik

Thnx sew much 4 ul yr hard work. I got me 4 a lvls an a plaice at Oxfud. I cudnt hav dun it without yu.

Yu r the gradest techr on the hol wurdl. Yu teched me verey much. I lov yu an I will nevur ferget yu.

Yurs,
Herbert Granger Esq.


“Here it is.” Miss Camberwick stood holding a blue large format book. “What have you got there?” She took it from him and glanced at the writing. “Oh! Young Herbert. He did well for himself, you know. He’s the MP for Potter’s Green.”

2 comments:

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Ha ha ha ha ha! Glad you're back, I missed you.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thanks Zinnia :)
I do post Jasfoup's blog daily at www.jasfoup.blogspot.com. I'm working on plotting out the next book at present.