Monday, May 26, 2008

Passing the Gatekeeper


Janus squinted at the figures, his pen flicking across the columns. “You started with Avarice at three years old,” he said. “That gives you a thousand years of torment right there.”

“What can I say?” Harold shrugged. “We had a television and I wanted every toy advertised. What child doesn’t?”

“Hmm.” Janus’ pen moved again. “Lust,” he said. “From twelve years old.”

“Teenage boys. You know how they are.”

“Gluttony from seventeen.”

“I went up to University.” Harold smiled. “Beer. Cake.”

“A spike of anger at nineteen.”

“Someone,” Harold flicked his head toward Jasfoup, “stole my bicycle.”

“I gave it back!”

“The wheel was buckled.”

“Anyway.” Janus glared at them. “With interest that comes to…” He totted up the figures. “Eternity.” He closed his book and smiled.

Harold smiled as well. “I couldn’t help my nature,” he said, “considering who my father is.” He gave an obvious wink and Jasfoup leaned forward to whisper in the Inquisitor’s ear.

Janus blushed. “Ah,” he said. “I should have had a memo about that.” Do carry on.”

4 comments:

aims said...

Dammit! What did he whisper?!

I have a good idea - but! - you are such a tease!!

Leatherdykeuk said...

ah, not a tease, really. This is information in Book one -- which doesn't look like being published after all since the publisher hasn't replied to any of my e-mails.

What Jasfoup whispered is that Harold is Lucifer's son.

I got your e-mail, btw and will reply soon -- we've just had guests all weekend.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Tee hee to the post! Very VERY sorry to hear about the publisher, though. Time to get on the phone? Or to look for an agent? I've heard it's easier to find an agent when you've got a publishing deal - which, technically, you still have...

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thanks Zinnia. You're right, of course. I should get on the horse and sub to agents.