Monday, June 02, 2008

Burning Destiny


NB: This takes place prior to the events in 'An Ungodly Child'


“You were smoking in bed last night.” Harold glances across the toast rack at his mother in quiet accusation.

“I don’t smoke, dear. You know that.” An elegant hand spreads a smear of marmalade across wholegrain. Clear green eyes regard her thirty-four year old son. “How could you tell, anyway? You went to bed long before I did.”

“I was in the attic.” Harold looks away from her. He has never been able to meet that clear gaze; his mother’s stare has always made him feel guilty. He has never made the connection but the statue of the Virgin Mary at St. Just’s, where he attended service every week for seven years, was modelled on his mother.

“Playing with your trains?” Ada smiles to deny the sarcasm. She doesn’t mind him still being single and at home. His childhood will end soon enough, for he has a Destiny.

“I might have been.” Harold glances at the clock. “I have to go or I’ll be late.”

“Good speed.” Ada lifts her cheek for a kiss goodbye and Harold obliges, picking up his lunchbox and flask of tea as he heads out of the door.

As his van coughs into life and Doppler-shifts toward town, Ada takes a tray of tea upstairs. Lucifer, the Prince of Darkness, smiles in net-curtain half-light, his skin smoking from the heat within. “Has he gone?”

“Five minutes.” Ada slips into sulphur-warm sheets.

“Good.” Lucifer looks into those green eyes. “Today our son will meet an angel.”

4 comments:

aims said...

The mixes of age here delighted me Rachel.

In fact - everything delighted me. Your use of words is breathtaking for me sometimes.

Now - you owe me an email and an explanation on what is happening with the publisher. Please?

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thank you kindly.

I do indeed owe you a mail. Your's is still flagged 'red to reply' in my inbox.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Ooh, a prequel! I love 'sulphur-warm sheets' - very evocative.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thanks Zinnia :)