Monday, June 09, 2008

Magic, sufficiently understood, resembles Science.


“What are you doing?”

Jasfoup sat at the kitchen table, where Harold was playing with the pixie child. It looked even tinier in his hands, not much large than a thumbnail. Several sheets of paper were covered in Harold’s tiny handwriting.

“I’m trying to work out how it flies,” he said. “It’s wings are too small to support his body mass. I’m wondering if it produces a zero-gravity field around itself.”

“It does seem awfully agile.” The demon extended a claw and the child clambered onto it, wings blurring with the speed of flapping. “No. I can feel him. He weighs half an ounce.”

“That’s one theory down, then.” Harold put a line through several pages of his notebook. “If I can work it out I’ll make a fortune reproducing the effect.”

“I can tell you now.” Jasfoup lowered the pixie to the table. “Magic.”




Image: Zero Gravity 1 by Jacqueline Marr

2 comments:

aims said...

Well - Harold will have to come up with another scheme then - which I'm sure he will.

I wouldn't mind holding a pixie child.

Leatherdykeuk said...

it would be an interesting experience at that. I'd be afraid of breaking it.