Thursday, July 03, 2008

Born in a Big Blue Barn


“Were you born in a barn?” Sam growled and indicated the door with a nod of his head.

Felicia swept her leg in a rear-high kick. The door slammed with the hiss of pressurizing air. “I wasn’t,” she said. “Laverstone maternity hospital, actually. Nine pounds four ounces at four minutes past nine. My mother always said she was grateful I didn’t arrive at ten past twelve.”

“And you’re telling me this because?” Sam hardly pulled his hollow eyes from the television. He looked gaunt, unkempt, as if he hadn’t slept of eaten for several weeks. A grey, stained wife beater hung from Auschwitz collarbones.

“Because you asked.” Felicia stood behind the small black and white portable and leaned forward with her forearms on the back plastic. The television creaked under the weight, the stool it was stood upon shifting slightly. Sam’s lips pursed. “Because I never understood why being born in a barn referred to leaving a door open when hitting a barn door meant an easy target. I mean, do barns have doors or not?”

Sam looked up then, meeting her eyes with ones that had seen despair and faltered. “Barns that have doors have them and barns that don’t, don’t.” His eyes shifted again. Now kill me or leave. You’re interrupting the film.”

9 comments:

aims said...

OMG!! How did you know what my decor looks like?!

I loved this - of course - and what a laugh the title - and the contents - got out of me today.

Poor Sam tho...what's up with him?

I have to tell you this. When I bought this place my mother told me it had ghosts in it. I looked at her quite startled and then she told me they went 'moo'.

As for the door thing? The original would open into what is now a bedroom and there were trap doors on every floor - presumably to bring the hay through.

A 'front' door was installed long before I bought the place...and we spruced it up a year ago with a lovely new door with pewter and glass....love silver - don't you?

Leatherdykeuk said...

You can't beat pewter and glass and yes, I'm a silver girl. Mar partners both prefer gold.

I'm glad you didn't mind me using the title - This will be in a later bit of ABLS that I haven't written yet -- sometmes the writing prompts I use for this blog suggest scenes from the WIP

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Aims directed to this and I'm sure glad she did. I always wondered why barns are referred to when doors are left open.

CJ xx

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thanks Crystal.
How odd to see you here, rather than at Billy's blog ;)

DJ Kirkby said...

You write and I want to read! Wow!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

What DJ Kirkby said. 'A grey, stained wife beater hung from Auschwitz collarbones' is soooo evocative.

Leatherdykeuk said...

thank you both :)

Stinking Billy said...

Jasfoup, I'm jealous of aims, now. I would love a mention, somewhere, some time soon. Pretty please?

Leatherdykeuk said...

We have mentioned you before, dear chap, but I'm sure we can do so again ;)