Thursday, July 10, 2008

Merlikin's Schooldays


Harold scribbled some notes on a sheet of paper, looked up the reference in a second tome, growled* and buzzed Jasfoup.

The demon sauntered into the office several minutes later, still with a dab of whipped cream on his chin. “You have something stuck…” Harold pointed to his own chin.

“Thanks, old bean.” Jasfoup’s long tongue snaked out and found the offending blob. “Devious and I were having a race,” he said. “I won, of course. You rang, m’lud?”

“Why didn’t I get a cream cake?”

“Nobody’s had a cake, Harold.” Jasfoup winked.

“I--” Harold swallowed. “I came across this reference in the spell for conjuring gates but I’ve no idea what it refers to. The Blue Fish?”

“A well known portal.” Jasfoup smiled and flipped the reference book to see the title. “As I thought,” he said. “Trust me on this: No good will come from any spell you learn in “Ye Apprentice’s Tome of Amusing Cantrips.”


* a combination of frustration and hunger

6 comments:

aims said...

Sex? Do I hear sex?

ooooh! Jasfoup! I've got chocolate syrup....that tongue made me do it! Honestly!

Now Miz Chronicler - what was the * for when Harold growled please?

Leatherdykeuk said...

*laughs*
he never did tell me what the cream was for. I'm sure I wouldn't know.

Harold's * was nothing - just his stomach.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Better than Harry Potter. And not just because of the refreshing absence of adverbs after the word 'said'. The 'nobody's had a cake' line made me laugh.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thanks Zinnia :)

I try to keep adverbs to one in a thousand words or less.

aims said...

Stephen King's book ''On Writing' says quite a bit about the use of adverbs and the word 'said'. Have you read it by any chance?

Leatherdykeuk said...

I haven't, actually. It was one of those books that i 'always meant to buy' but never did.