Thursday, September 18, 2008

Averting Catastrophe


Jasfoup handed the stallholder a few coins and pocketed the second-hand book of poetry. She opened an old biscuit tin and poured the coins inside, “Wait a minute,” she said, fishing out a coin. “This is a foreign one.”

“Sorry.” Jasfoup tried to take it from her but she stepped back out of his reach. “It was unintentional,” he said. “Here, have a replacement.”

She frowned and looked at him. “Where’s this from?” she asked. “It says ‘1986’ on the back. That’s eight years from now.”

“I didn’t mean to give you that,” said Jasfoup. “I just bought it today. It’s one of the Battersea mis-stamps from the Royal Mint in ’76. It’s worth over a pound.”

“Really?” Her face lit up. “’appen you’ll want it back then.”

“Of course.” Jasfoup held out his hand. “Here’s another one.”

“If it’s worth over a pound, you’ll pay me fifty pence for it, I expect.”

Jasfoup nodded and took out his purse. “You are an avaricious witch,” he said, pocketing the coin and thus avoiding a temporal calamity. “How about I take you to lunch?”

12 comments:

Cat said...

I like her! A book fancier and opportunistic. I'd take her to lunch, too.

unbelievable rate said...

im your favorite reader here!

penny stock advice said...

help me.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thank you all, I'm honoured for your input :)

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

He never misses an opportunity, does he?

Leatherdykeuk said...

heh! Would you?

Thanks for dropping by, Zinnia. Always good to see you.

aims said...

Not only does Jasfoup never miss an opportunity - he is quick on the draw. I expect all those years makes it easier to think on your feet.

The only question is - if he takes her to lunch - what's on the menu?

Leatherdykeuk said...

Three cheese macaroni followed by apple pie :)

Olga/Maddie said...

I get the feeling that we will be seeing more of this particular lady? *BG*

And good on Jasfoup for taking her out to lunch. *VBG*

Hugs, lovies, and stuffs for you all. *HG*

God bless and take care. :).
Olga/Maddie

Leatherdykeuk said...

Only a little more - she's a very minor character.

Olga/Maddie said...

Ah, I see.

And thanks for letting me know.

Hugs, god bless, take care, and bye, :)!
Olga/Maddie

BT said...

Wonderful stuff Rach. He's a star!