Monday, September 29, 2008

Bramble Cuts



Jasfoup was just pulling bread out of the oven when Lucy came running in, her summer dress soaked with water* and blood dripping from the palm of her chubby hand.

“Uncle J!” she cried. “I cut myself.”

“Let me see.” Jasfoup licked the corner of his pinny and wiped away the blood to reveal a jagged tear across her palm, two inches long. “Let me get the first aid kit,” he said. “I think we can get away without stitches today.”

Lucy’s face crinkled at the thought of more stitches.

Jasfoup smiled and dabbed the cut with anti-sceptic ointment, wishing he could protect her from all the little miseries of life. “How did this happen?” he asked, dropping the cotton-wool into the bin and manoeuvring a plaster from its protective shielding.*

“Brambles,” said Lucy. She was four now but, unlike most children her age, still had the Sight. She would be starting school in the autumn and would lose it then. There was no space on the curriculum for ‘talking to your dead mother and her pet werewolf.’

“Brambles?” Jasfoup repeated. “Were you picking blackberries?”

“Brambles the cat,” sighed Lucy. She pulled her hand away before the demon could seal the plaster with a kiss. “I was giving him a bath and he scratched me.”

“Ah.” Jasfoup began to put the first aid kit away. “Cats don’t like baths, then?”

“It’s not the bath he was averse to,” said Lucy. “It was the bikini line trim with Daddy’s electric razor.”





*He hoped it was just water

**Much easier when someone else does it. Plasters are designed to be opened with two hands, much to the disgruntlement of every single person with a cut finger.

10 comments:

Maureen said...

Har! Very good... love your story telling and I shall be back... and the cat; well, great pic to go with the story indeed!

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thanks Maureen - glad you enjoyed it!

stephanie said...

You know, I'm growing quite fond of Lucy. I shall be sad to see her all grown up. Then again, I suspect she won't be for quite some time. Good!

Leatherdykeuk said...

She will be 14 at the end of Halcyon Days, but afterwards I'll go back to the present.

DJ Kirkby said...

Lol poor old Brambles! School curiculums suck, they should embrace diversity...

Leatherdykeuk said...

Ha! Very true!

aims said...

anti-sceptic ointment? Now where would one find that?

What's wrong with a kiss from Uncle J then?

Leatherdykeuk said...

I couldn't write 'Savlon'!

What little girl ever wants a kiss from a smelly old uncle?

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I want some anti-sceptic ointment too - then I could have a complete change of personality! Love the footnotes; love the punchline - it made me laugh out loud.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thanks Zinnia :)
I find a spot of anti-sceptic goes a long way.

Besides - you're very open minded, I believe.