Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Delicate Matter


Jasfoup looked up as the door opened, following the line of his elegant legs to his boots resting on the antique oak desk to the full-moon face of Harold standing in the doorway. He used the remote to turn the volume down.*

“Yes, Harold? What can I do for you?”

“It’s this original manuscript of Shakespeare’s,” said Harold, stepping forward. “It strikes me as odd that such a great playwright should mess up the title of his own play.”

“Oh?” Jasfoup swung his legs off the desk. “Let me see.”

Harold laid the manuscript down. “Love’s Labour’s List, see?”

“A typo, surely?”

“In a handwritten manuscript?”

“I see what you mean.” Jasfoup took out a penknife** and sharpened a quill. Choosing a shade of dark sepia ink he made the necessary adjustment. His handwriting matched perfectly. “There,” he said. “Good as new.”

“Oh.” Harold looked from the manuscript to the demon. “Thanks,” he said. He turned to leave and then paused. “What was that music,” he asked. “it was lovely.”

“Mozart's Symphony No. 25 in G minor,” said Jasfoup. “Did you like it?”

“I prefer Tchaikovsky’s sixth.”

“Tchaikovsky’s sixth symphony?” Jasfoup snorted back a laugh. “It’s Pathétique,”



*This meant he prodded Devious to go into the next room to change the settings on the server.

** Two point four inches. Still legal in the United Kingdom***

***Not like the rapier he kept down his trouser leg.

4 comments:

aims said...

I suppose over all the years that one might develop a knowledge of almost everything.

I like that Jasfoup is not just a demon with a one-track mind. I also like that he has an elegant leg....

Olga/Maddie said...

I guess I also have a one track mind because I was smirking when I read the footnote about Jasfoup having a rapier down his trouser leg. *EG*

Hugs, lovies, and stuffs for you all. *HG*

God bless and take care. :).
Olga/Maddie

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Several smirks from here, too. Thank you!

BT said...

Groan! He has your sense of humour Leatherdyke!!