Friday, September 12, 2008

Quiet Jim

“The trouble with believing in reincarnation,” said Quiet Jim. “Is that once you’ve been reborn a couple of times you can’t not believe in it.”

“What?” Pete Carpenter took a sip of his pint. “You’ve lived before, you mean?”

“Of course. Haven’t you?”

“Not that I know of.” Pete frowned. “Did you go to one of them hypnotists and find out you was Henry the eighth or something?”

“No. I was just born with all the memories of my former lives,” said Jim. “I wasn’t anyone famous or nothing. I was a private in the trenches in 1917 and got killed by a bomb, and a steelworker in the forties, until the factory got bombed.”

“That’s amazing,” said Pete. “What have you learned, over your three lifetimes?”

“That I always end up with the same woman,” said Quiet Pete, “and that suicide bombers get reincarnated.”

6 comments:

aims said...

*chuckles*

Is that why he's quiet? Many years of being with the same woman?

I think I've definitely lived before. I realized just the other day that when we were in New Orleans - I felt like I had come home. I know you know what I mean.

Leatherdykeuk said...

As have I, I believe. I remember a couple of deaths.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Oh noooo... couldn't suicide bombers be the only ones who don't get reincarnated? Oh. Guess not.

Leatherdykeuk said...

I think that is their punishment, to remember.

DJ Kirkby said...

Superb closing sentence!

Leatherdykeuk said...

heh!
Risque, i thought - I didn't want to offend anyone.