Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The First and Last




Lucy sat with her back against the tree and smoothed her skirts over her legs. Her black pumps and stripy stockings that her father had bought for her peeked out from the hemline. She placed her hands together in her lap and closed her eyes. “Well?” she said aloud. “I’m waiting.”

Spender crept closer until she could feel his breath on her face. It smelled of moss and woodland streams and made her think of the woodlouse on her bedroom windowsill earlier that morning. The suspense was killing her. She opened her eyes again. “Well?”

Spender sat back on his haunches. “This is your first kiss, isn’t it?”

“Of course not.” Lucy looked at him and sighed, all her careful preparations forgotten. “Why do you ask?”

“You have your lips clamped together.”

drawing by Lisa Christiansen

4 comments:

aims said...

Ah yes - that first kiss.....

I remember mine so well because I tried to throw up afterwards. Of course it was the wettest French Kiss I've ever had and some of that wetness went down my throat and .......

Leatherdykeuk said...

Ah! Youth.

I don't even remember mine ;(

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I love Lucy, she's a great character.

Leatherdykeuk said...

I'm very fond of her already!