Friday, October 03, 2008

Idle Talk


“There’s something pure about a beach in October,” Jasfoup said, making hoofprints in the sand at the water’s edge. “A pristine beach with nothing but dead jellyfish and driftwood for company is the perfect time for reflection.”

“What have you got to reflect on?” said Harold, stooping to pick up a particularly rare spiky conch. “I thought you had the perfect life?”

“’Had’ being the operative word.” Jasfoup crushed a crab into the sand. “Then I met you.”

“I thought you liked our life together.”

“I do, Harold, I just feel that temptation is passing me by. I feel stuck in a rut.”

“I know that feeling,” said Harold. “Nothing ever happens in Laverstone.”

“Blue moon next year,” said Jasfoup. “That’ll cheer us both up.”

Harold frowned. “Why?”

“You’ll have to fight the Faery Queen for your life.”



Illustration by Judith Stein

3 comments:

aims said...

Gosh - almost sounds like they have a bad marriage doesn't it? Or a boring one.

A whole year to wait for that? Oh my.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Blue moons happen every 2 1/2 years ;)

DJ Kirkby said...

Oooooh...intiguing...