Friday, October 31, 2008

Like a Vulture, waiting...


Mrs. Williams coughed into her handkerchief. The little girl was still there on the next bench over, watching her every move. She shifted uneasily until she faced her, shading her eyes against the weak autumn sun. “What is it, child?” she said. “Why do you stare so?” She squinted. “Lucy Waterman, isn’t it? From the bookshop?”

Yes,” said Lucy. “How do you do?”

“I’m a bit poorly, love,” said Mrs. Williams. “A touch of bronchitis, according to the doctor.”

“Father says you have a chronic cough,” said Lucy.

“That’s right.”

“And Mr. Jasfoup said that when someone dies an angel and a demon fight over their soul.” Lucy settled in, resting her arms on the polished wood and her chin on her arms. “I’ve never seen an angel.”


Illustration: Winter Waits by Lynn Plourde with illustrations by Greg Couch

5 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

Oooh Lucy does remind me of myself as a child....

stephanie said...

Ha! She is too clever by half (and Mrs Williams too obtuse).

Leatherdykeuk said...

She is, though i felt sorry for mrs Williams

aims said...

Lucy is such an - odd - child.

Indeed - Poor Mrs. Williams. That would give me a nasty turnabout I'd think if someone told me that.

Leatherdykeuk said...

She's just curious.

I theink Mrs. Williams' response was 'Ah, bless."