Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Precocious


Ada poured herself another gin and listened to her grand-daughter playing the upright piano. Brahms’ Piano Concerto No. 2 in B flat major. The notes fell in a perfect torrent from the ten-year old’s fingers, and Ada was once more reminded how grateful she was to have Lucy at all. She’d been convinced for twenty years that Harold was gay.

The music softened and then rose to a resounding crescendo which made the decanters on the sideboard ring. Lucy turned around, her face shining with anticipation. “What did you think, Gran?” she asked.

“Very nice, Lucy dear.” Ada patted her knee. “But I was never fond of Brahms. Can you play Liszt?”

4 comments:

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Harold still could be gay... but Ada probably doesn't realise that!

Leatherdykeuk said...

She's ignored evidence of his bisexuality before, but then everyone's bisexual to some extent.

aims said...

I'm with your remarkable statement about bisexuality Rachel. I've made that comment before - seems like eons ago now - and everyone just gave me a blank look.

I saw a 6 yr. old on a youtube video who could play just about anything. He even did something he composed himself.

How I wish that instead of taking the Royal Conservatory way of learning the piano - that I had learned to play by ear instead. The first way pretty much killed any desire to play - but now I sometimes have dreams of it.

Leatherdykeuk said...

I'm seriously impressed, Aims. I can't play anything at all.