Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Un-fun Fair


The daughter of the richest man in Laverstone* was used to deprivation. “I had nothing when I was your age,”** he said, “so count yourself lucky that I give you an allowance at all.”

“It’s not fair,” said Lucy, “All my friends are allowed to go to the funfair.”

“I’m not saying you can’t go,” said Harold, “Just that I’m not paying for it. It’s a complete waste of money.”

“All right. I’ll go and play on the railway tracks,” said Lucy, storming out.

Jasfoup found her in her room, writing furiously in her diary. “Make them the railway tracks of the Ghost Train,” he said, slipping her a fifty.




*Actually, Harold lived as close to the poverty line as he could, saving every penny it was possible to save. He would frequently have no money at all** “Make do and mend” was his motto, though it only applied to other people.

**until he needed to buy something, then he would tell Devious to ‘fetch him a bag of twenties.’***

***and after the first time, Devious knew he meant notes.

4 comments:

stephanie said...

Careful there. Jasfoup has a new soft spot. Very well done, Rachel.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Ah! He's ummm... priming a soul

aims said...

You say he's priming a soul...but he's really an old softie underneath.

Forgot to ask - what's a trug?

Leatherdykeuk said...

A shallow basket used to gather vegetables