Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Working It


Mr. McKatterick read the sheet of paper, his mouth moving as he struggled to interpret the cursive handwriting on lavender scented paper. When he reached the end he turned it over to check there was nothing more, folded id and returned it to the envelope. He handed it back to Lucy.

“It’s an exemplary reference, Miss Waterman,” he said. “One might almost say flowery.” He laughed at his own joke and Lucy afforded him a polite smile. “My only problem is that it was written before you were born.”

“Great Aunt Lydia,” said Lucy. “Such a joker. I expect she got the year wrong again.”

“And the century.”

“There you go then.” Lucy leaned forward. “I really need this job. Father’s threatened to stop my pocket money if I don’t find out what real work is all about.”

“Very well, I’ll give you a month’s trial.” Mr. McKatterick opened his notebook. “Do you want a morning paper round or an after school one?”

2 comments:

aims said...

OMG! I didn't know you needed a resume to get a paper route! Wow! I think my idea of some extra pocket money just went down the tubes. My resume sucks! :0)

Leatherdykeuk said...

*chuckles*
Remember that Lucy tales are set in the future.