Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Jolly Hockey Sticks


The knock on the door was brash and confidant. Mrs. brown opened it to find the sort of girl who would be the captain of a hockey team – full of gung-ho, as they used to say when she was a child – looking away from her down the street, The sound of sirens echoed faintly.

“Can I help you?”

The girl turned, displaying a black eye and a swollen lip. “Mrs. Brown?”

“Yes… What’s this about?”

“I’m Lucy Waterman, Mrs. Brown” The girl held out a hand and Mrs. Brown shook it. She couldn’t help but notice the broken nails and scabs across the knuckles.

“What can I do for you, Miss Waterman?”

“You’ve got a lovely daughter, Annabel, haven’t you?”

“Yes.” Mrs. Brown frowned. “She’s all right, isn’t she?”

“She will be. I called the ambulance for her. She had a bit of a run-in with a goblin but I sorted it out.” Lucy smiled. “Would you tell Annabel she owes me a new polo mallet? I’d be ever so.”

“Erm… of course.”

“Ta muchly.”

Mrs. Brown watched her saunter away and closed the door. “Goblin?” she repeated. Was that the street name for a drug dealer or something?

4 comments:

aims said...

Lucy the Brave!

Hooray! (I think she might be my hero too!)

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thanks! Lucy's fabulous!

stephanie said...

Lucy really is fabulous. I am so eager to read her coming of age.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Alas, I have to have her 'jump' much of her childhood.