Saturday, December 13, 2008

Crumbling Infrastructure


“It’s no good,” said Harold, throwing his pencil across the room, where it sank into the plaster to a depth of an inch. “I can’t get these books to balance.”

“Literally or economically?” said Jasfoup, looking up but keeping his finger on the page of Caroline Smailes’ “Black Boxes”. “Because if you mean financially, you need to take into account that Gordons went into receivership last week.”

“My supplier of contemporary fiction?” said Harold. “Let me feed that into my calculations.” He went quiet for a minute or two before sitting back with a scowl. “I’ll never get the accounts sorted now,” he said. “They owed me three thousand pounds.”

“Do you hear that crinkling sound?” said Jasfoup.

“No. What is it?”

“That’s the sound of the publishing industry collapsing.”

“That’s not funny at all, old friend.”

“Indeed it isn’t.”

4 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

Forgot to say that I gave you an award on my Chez Aspie blog last Sunday. xo

DJ Kirkby said...

Forgot to say that I gave you an award on my Chez Aspie blog last Sunday. xo

Leatherdykeuk said...

I saw it, thanks!
I put it on the dogsbite blog :)

stephanie said...

Oh, well done.