Sunday, December 14, 2008

Gran's Visit


Lucy scowled as she dropped a box of old books and toys at the back door. “Why do I have to tidy my room because Gran is coming?” she said. “Gran loves me whether my room is tidy or not, doesn’t she?”

“Of course she does,” said Harold, “so if you don’t want to clean your room I quite understand. I’ll even try to hide all the wooden spoons from the kitchen.”

“That’s okay.” Lucy gave him her version of her mother’s lopsided smile. “I clean it.”

“Excellent.” Harold smiled at her, pleased at his mastery of pre-teen manipulation. He looked through the box. “Wait!” he said. “Are you really throwing out ‘A Treasury of Fairy Tales?”

“I’m a bit old for it, Dad. Who could ever believe in a Gingerbread house?”

Harold looked suddenly uncomfortable. “You’ve never been to your Great Aunt Lydia’s, have you?”

4 comments:

stephanie said...

*chuckles* Oh, I'm so looking forward to her coming of age.

Delightful vignette.

Leatherdykeuk said...

*laughs*
Soon!

But the I get to go back and fill in the years :)

BT said...

I hope that's not the reaction when I'm coming!!

Leatherdykeuk said...

*chuckles*
As if!