Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Fairy Ring Enchantment


Jenny Purfeit sipped at her whiskey and coke as she looked out of Lucy’s second-floor window at the elegantly manicured lawns below. “What happened to your mum?” she said. “You never talk about her and there aren’t any pictures…”

Lucy stopped typing in the middle of sending a soulbook message to her online friend Jessica5 in America. She swiveled her chair to face her school friend. “My mother?” she said. “She’s under an enchantment and won’t be awakened until I’ve come of age.” She stood up and went to the window. “See that fairy ring,” she said, pointing to a circle of fly agaric where Endal had cut down a chestnut two years ago.

“Yes,” said Jenny, a note of hesitation in her voice.

“My mother’s buried under there.”

“In a glass coffin?”

“No, silly. It’d break. She’s in Tupperware.”

Jenny’s mouth dropped open “You’re having me on.”

“A bit.” Lucy picked up her glass. “I haven’t seen my mother since I was about two, but Dad still says she’ll be back.”

“He must really love her,” said Jenny.

Lucy nodded. “Either that or she owes him money”

2 comments:

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

'soulbook' - 'Tupperware' - 'she owes him money' - love it!

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thanks Zinnia :)