Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Favourite Things

Harold wrapped the book in brown paper and string, dropping a blob of sealing wax onto the join. He loathed sending his precious books out into the world but ‘bookshop’ was written over his door and once in a while he had to good on the promise.

“That’ll be £49,” he said, one hand still on the volume of ‘The Panderings of Melodia’, “in coin of the realm.”

“Oh yes?” The purchaser, a man in his forties wearing a cloak with a hood that he kept up even in the shop. “Which realm might that be.”

“Harold drew the book an inch or two away from its would-be owner. “Any realm you like,” he said, “as long as I can pass it onward.”

The man nodded. “Pay it forward,” he said, “I get it.” He counted out eight ten-tian notes.

Harold tucked the book back under the counter. “Patently not,” he said. “Tians stopped being legal tender when the goblins over-ran Melodium.”

“Really?” The man frowned. “When was that?”


“Tomorrow afternoon.”

12 comments:

aims said...

Hmmmm - the strangeness of this is intriguing.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Harold has intel ;)

aims said...

Intel? duh - enlighten me?

Leatherdykeuk said...

intelligence gathering :)

aims said...

And that is why you have to enlighten me! :0)

BT said...

I'm glad he doesn't sell his books to any old body!

Leatherdykeuk said...

Harold hates selling his books!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

OMG I've just discovered that your book is out and available on Amazon - not sure how I missed that - I'm off shopping, byeee!

Leatherdykeuk said...

*chuckles*
Did you miss Jasfoup's video adverts?

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Yep. Sorry - must have not been paying attention!!

stephanie said...

Ach! You did it again with the time bending. I despair... *laughs*

Leatherdykeuk said...

Sorry, Steph. I am bad!