Thursday, January 08, 2009

Food for Thought


Lucy’s Biology teacher, Miss Graves,* kept, as most schools did, a tank of mice in the classroom. Unlike other schools, however, she bred the mice as food for the other classroom pets: a pair of asps and a tank of small black scorpions. She deemed it a privilege for a child to be allowed to lift a mouse by the tail (or in a glass for the squeamish – there were health and safety rules to consider) and feed the other class pets.

Lucy was fascinated. The expressions of the snakes as the mice were dropped into the vivarium was identical to the expression Miss Graves had when a pupil failed an exam.



*An appropriate name, her students thought, for she looked like something that had been dead for a very long time. Her breath (which smell not of coffee like the other teachers after morning break but of cinnamon and aniseed) was dry and rustly and her teacher’s robes were stiff like paper left in the sun.

9 comments:

liz fenwick said...

Wicked :-) I do marvel at the glorious workings of your mind!
lx

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thanks Liz.
Sometimes DK worries about living with me ;)

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I like Miss Graves already. (And whenever I visit here and see the word 'Lucy' in a post, I smile, even before I've read anything else.)

liz fenwick said...

She's probably right - living with a genius must be tough :-)
lx

Leatherdykeuk said...

Zinnia - Thank you! I like Lucy too.

Liz - You must mean Luisa, our other wife!

BT said...

No she doesn't!! I've loved reading and having a good catch up. Miss Graves sounds just like our geography teacher. Her skin was white and paper thin. You must have known her...

Leatherdykeuk said...

Ha! Thanks Gina. Alas, I didn't know your teacher (you were a year ortwo ahead of me, of course) but I think we all knew a Miss Graves.

stephanie said...

*grins* It would be nice to see at least a bit more of Miss Graves. I suspect Lucy might be on to something with her. ;)

Leatherdykeuk said...

She might dovetail nicely with book 2 'A Gathering of Gods' which i shall be re-writing after HD