Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Green Mill


“Where did that cake come from,” said Harold, over elevenses. “The one you brought home last night and made me eat.”

“I didn’t make you eat it,” said Jasfoup. “I just offered it you. Gillian made you eat it. Remember the starving people in Basingstoke, I think she said.”

“You knew I wouldn’t like it though,” said Harold. “Cream cheese topping on a cake?”

“Cheesecake?” Jasfoup said. “You like cheesecake.”

“That’s different.” Harold took out a small piece of cardboard. “I rescued this from the cake box,” he said. “Green Mill Confectionary with a little picture of a green windmill. I’ve never heard of it, and there are no windmills this side of the chalk.”

Jasfoup nodded. “Perhaps there’s a Green Mill far away,” he said. “Without a city wall.”

7 comments:

aims said...

Lovely pic btw.

Now - what is elevenses?

Does Harold like carrot cake then? It has cream cheese icing a lot of the times (over here).

Leatherdykeuk said...

Harold likes most cake :)

Elevenses are a cup of tea and a biscuit halfway throught the morning -- what used to be about 11:00 AM

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Groan!

The lovely postwoman brought me a parcel from Amazon the other day, and it had your book in. I'm so looking forward to reading it.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Oh Zinnia! How wonderful!
I hope it's as good as you're expecting it to be. You're such a staunch supporter of Jasfoup :)

BT said...

I just had to really laugh out loud at your final lines. Reminded me of Datchelor....

BT said...

There is a 'Green Hill Hotel' on the way to Tescos in Limerick. Jim and I are unable to pass it without bursting into song...

Leatherdykeuk said...

Ha! Super!
Perhaps you're channeling Jasfoup!