Thursday, February 26, 2009

Reading Railroad


Laverstone Station has three platforms. Platform one is a seasonal train serving holiday makers and steam enthusiasts and puffs its way, weather permitting, across the hills to Reading every Thursday from April to September. Platforms two and three serve the mainline trains between London and Oxford, though not all trains stop at Laverstone. One an hour is our generally allotted number.

There’s an underpass to Platform One where an old man plays a cello for pennies. His two performing monkeys will grin and tip their hats if you put a pound or more into his hat. Ignore him at your peril. Those with the sight can see the stumps where they ripped off his angel wings.

Those performing monkeys? Aren’t.

4 comments:

aims said...

OH! I'll remember this the next time I pass a performer. The only thing is - I don't carry cash - just plastic. They need to have portable swipe machines - available at Costco I'm told - so that I can 'donate'.

Leatherdykeuk said...

*shakes head*
Signs of the times.

stephanie said...

Got me! I didn't see him coming, but I will the next time I'm downtown. This was super.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thank you.

You met him before, I think, in a short story.