Friday, February 13, 2009

Virtual Taxation


“I’ve got a tax bill for St. Marples,” said Harold, throwing the paperwork at Jasfoup. “I thought you said that couldn’t happen.”

“You thought wrong,” said the demon, glancing through the thirty-odd pages. “What I said was, you wouldn’t owe any. This is the past fiscal year.”

“It’s wrong, surely?” Harold took back the pages and skimmed through them. “Look,” he said, holding up pace twenty-three. “It says they’re charging me £2,306.48 for ‘a possible change of use’. What change of use?”

“That’ll be the prospect of turning the tower into a residence,” said Jasfoup. “It’s a legitimate concern. It’s something you have planning permission for so you could if you wanted. They’re taxing you on the possibility that you will.”

“Why? Where would I put the three gargoyles living there already.”

6 comments:

aims said...

Wowzer! A 30 page tax bill!

Thank goodness I don't live in Laverstone. I couldn't afford it - especially with being taxed on 'possibilities'.

The gargoyles could come live here.

Leatherdykeuk said...

You have to remember that Harold is a major landowner ;)

Sunny said...

well, being taxed on 'possibilities' is a reality.

Thanks for the reminder

Leatherdykeuk said...

Wait until they tax children!

stephanie said...

I'm sure they'll find a loophole. Harold is very good at finding those.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Good point!