Wednesday, April 15, 2009

At least he didn't faint


“What have you called him?”

Harold watched the pygmy goat gambol across the lawn, leaving small divots in the grass. Fortunately, he knew just the imp to repair the damage.

“Pablo the Leprechaun,” said Lucy.

“Leprechaun?” Harold frowned. “But he’s a--”

“I know, dad.” Lucy turned to him, twelve years old and full of seriousness. “But that would be condescending to Pablo and insulting to any human society whose members were under two feet tall.”

“I see.” Harold nodded. “But not insulting to gold-hoarding guardians of Rainbows?”

“Now who’s being ridiculous?” Lucy punched him. “I’ve already asked their permission.”

9 comments:

aims said...

She is just so smart it's scary.

Leatherdykeuk said...

or she's winding him up.

martha said...

Good one Lucy! Got 'im again!
She's wonderful.
Have you considered writing a YA with our Luc' as the heroine?

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thanks Martha.

Thought, yes, but YA is a hard market to break into.

martha said...

I know it is. It is also one of the few areas of the book world that is moving right now. Lucy is such a charming and devilish character, that it might be worth having a go...and Lucy with her guardian demon Jasfoup, well....

Leatherdykeuk said...

You might be right.

I have about 20K of Halcyon days left to write, and then I'll give it a go.

martha said...

Good.

stephanie said...

*chuckles* I wonder if Harold realises she's patronising?

Leatherdykeuk said...

I suspect not!