Friday, April 17, 2009

Packets of Time


It was with some surprise that Harold received a postcard of Ulster from his Aunt Lydia. “I haven’t heard from her in donkey’s,” he said. He turned it over.

“Having a lovely time,” he read aloud. “See you at your Astronaut Party. I’ve bought you some rock.” He frowned. That’s odd,” he said. “I don’t like rock.”

“When was your astronaut party?” asked Jasfoup.

“When I was seven,” said Harold. “This postcard has been travelling a long time. Look there’s a postmark on the thruppenny stamp. “16th November 1972.”

“It’s been lost for almost forty years?” said Jasfoup.

“Yes, and yet they still managed to charge me £1.39 excess postage,” said Harold.

Jasfoup smiled. “God bless the Royal Mail.”

5 comments:

Spiky Zora Jones said...

The Royal Mail is like the US Mail. :D

Tell me please...What is meant by...I bought you some rock.?

Have a wonderful weekend sweetie.

aims said...

And like Canada Post too!

Don't get me started.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Indeed!
Zora: rock is very hard candy, usually bought at the seaside with the name of the town through the middle.
http://www.laterlife.com/laterlife-seaside-rock.htm

stephanie said...

Like salt water taffy here.

That's a postcard to keep. If nothing else, it'll remind him never to ask for directions in Ulster.

Leatherdykeuk said...

*laughs*