Saturday, May 02, 2009

Shattered

Harold screamed, the cup falling from his hands to shatter against the red terracotta tiles, a spray of liquid spewing from his mouth as his head twisted to one side. It became etched on Frederick's memory as if in slow motion -- the individual globules of liquid each describing a perfect mathematical arc from his nephew’s lips to the floor; pieces of willow pattern tearing from their neighbours and joining in a brief dance as they died to the sound of cymbals.

Harold blinked once, twice; a tear running down his cheek. “There was no sugar in that,” he gasped.

10 comments:

aims said...

Here I was - thinking - what beautiful words you've put down to describe this -

And then I laughed loudly - I'm afraid I might have woken The Man.

Leatherdykeuk said...

*chuckles*
Sorry!

DJ Kirkby said...

Dear Harold, I know exactly how you feel. I react much the same to tea without honey!

Leatherdykeuk said...

I don't understand him at all -- I can't bear sweet tea.

DJ Kirkby said...

Tea without...urk!

Leatherdykeuk said...

*chuckles*

stephanie said...

I must admit to a certain amount of pride in this one. :)

Leatherdykeuk said...

As well you should, dear lady :)

BT said...

Tea with sugar - yuk! That's what I did when the microwaved up wasn't microwave proof and burnt my fingers!

Leatherdykeuk said...

I remember!