Thursday, June 18, 2009

No Vacancies

Harold stared at the girl leaning on his desk, appalled at the scent of cheap cigarettes, beer and spearmint chewing gum. He loathed spearmint. He frowned. “What job?” he said. “I haven’t got a job available.”

“Suddenly,” she said. “Is it because of my tee shirt?”

“No, of course not.” Harold read the slogan. ‘I didn’t make a cock-up. I had one’ and stifled a smile.

“Is it because of my hair?”

Harold shook his head. Pink hair was hardly revolutionary, these days. All the old ladies had it in the seventies. Even poodles had pink hair now. “I don’t know why the Job Centre sent you,” he said. “There isn’t a vacancy available and I don’t know why they thought there was.”

“It’s because I’m a girl, isn’t it?” She leaned forward and chewed gum at him. “That’s sexual discrimination that is.”



Image: Job Interview Skills - Extended DVD & CD

8 comments:

aims said...

Oh oh!

Leatherdykeuk said...

Exactly!

martha said...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. That's sick and sad, and, unfortunately, all too often true.

stephanie said...

*laughs* Sure she isn't Harley Rue?

Harold may find himself with a new assistant whether he wants one or not!

Leatherdykeuk said...

A mundane assistant, too...

Leatherdykeuk said...

Alas, all too often true.

"I'd like to work in a bookshop"

"Good. Here's the address of one."

DJ Kirkby said...

Perhaps that is why N1S struggles to get a job...'cos there really isn't one at the places he gets sent to be interviewed at.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Quite possibly, yes. I hope he's lucky soon.