Johnson’s Steel Fabrication Plant in James Street was founded in 1932 and has experienced both an expansion and contraction over its lifetime. Harold spent a two-week training period there as an engineer’s aide when he was at school in the seventies and it confirmed his belief that he was not destined to mill steel for a living. He was similarly not enamoured of the work that went on in the offices, though the three secretaries employed there gave him both a start in typing skills and a later fetish for support hosiery.
The board of directors includes one sleeping partner who bought a majority shareholding in 1974 and has not been heard of since. The plant diversified into plastics in the late eighties and now makes a modest trade in computer cases. Oddly, the cases biodegrade after five years, a fact that makes them ideally suited to high-end machines and yet does not deter national corporations., since it gives them an excuse to upgrade when the cases melt away.