Wednesday, July 01, 2009

The Long Road to Independence

Harold Waterman, at nine years old, already had more money in his savings account than any of his peers, and certainly more than his mother would admit to having. “I am an independent man,” he declared upon coming hope from school one Wednesday. “I can look after myself.”

“Excellent,” said Ada, reaching for her coat. “I’m off to bingo. There’s the makings of a Shepherd’s Pie in the larder. I’ll be back at midnight.”

Harold’s eyes welled with tears. “You’re not going to cook my tea?” he said. “I’ll starve.”

“Well then.” Ada took off her coat again. “Pride comes before a fall, young man, and you’ve got the biggest dose of privet I’ve ever seen. It’s a long road to independence but you’ll get there eventually, just not today.”

She gave her son a hug. “And since you’re so independent now, you can start paying me board and lodgings.”


Image: Jaheim: The Makings of a Man

8 comments:

BT said...

A hard lesson for poor Harold indeed.

Leatherdykeuk said...

It is rather. It hit him where it hurts - in the savings!

aims said...

Ahhh - a mother's love.....

Leatherdykeuk said...

Tough Love!

martha said...

He needed that - probably should have happened more often.

Leatherdykeuk said...

But then he wouldn't have been Harold and he wouldn't be interesting!

stephanie said...

And that is why I adore Ada. ;)

Leatherdykeuk said...

Hard but fair :)