Monday, September 28, 2009

The Last Bus Home

Julie gave a sigh as the 125 hove into view on the northern bend. It was a relief, really, for the bus was a lighthouse beacon among the rain and the dark trees that lined the A64 Offley to Laverstone road.

"See you tomorrow?" Baz, her boyfriend of five weeks and three days, put his arms around her waist from behind and nuzzled into her neck.

"Unless there's a minor miracle and they cancel double geography." Julie reached behind her and touched his smooth cheek with her hand. "Give over. I'll miss the bus and there isn't another one."

"You'd have to stay with me." She could feel his grin against her neck.

"Yeah, right." Julie twisted to give him a peck on the cheek. "Your mum would put me in with your little sister and mine would ground me for a month. I'm not taking the risk, thanks." She pulled out of his grasp enough to put her hand out, relieved to see the bus indicate to pull into the stop.

"Time for me to go. If I'm not in bed by eleven Mum'll go spare."

"I can guarantee you'd be in bed faster than that." Bas grinned.

Julie laughed. "You're a right one, you are. No wonder they warned me about you."

"Who?" Baz held an umbrella over her as the grey bus pulled in. "What did they say?"

"That's for me to know and you to find out." Julie laughed and waved goodbye.

Until tomorrow.



Image: Monochrome by Paula Rice Jackson

4 comments:

aims said...

Hmmmmmmm - very interesting.

Leatherdykeuk said...

I'm playing with ideas again...

stephanie said...

More Julie history? Lovely, though I don't like this boy I don't think. Not much anyway.

Leatherdykeuk said...

I'm playing with the idea of a Julie history for NaNo