Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Assassination by Popularity

Marlowe all but choked on his wine. "You're pulling my one-eyed Jack," he said. "I've spied for Walsingham for years. I'm one of his most useful operatives."

"Were." Jasfoup smiled. "You were one of his most useful operatives. Unfortunately, your little bit of trouble in Holland made you an embarrassment to Her Majesty. Your counterfeit coins led the Catholics to suspect a plot against them. It was all the Queen could do to avoid France and Spain declaring war on the spot. "

"That wasn't my fault." Marlowe took another swig of the wine. "It was that idiot Frizer, always second guessing my moves. If he'd followed orders and left the tin where it was I'd never have been caught."

"Be that as it may, " said Jasfoup, "I have it on good authority your name appears on an execution list. Not openly, of course. Her Majesty cannot be seen to condone the death of her favourite playwright. No, it will come as a surprise – a knife in a dark alley or a fire at the theatre."

Marlowe shook his head. "You have to help me get out of this," he said. "There must be someone I can appeal to? Somewhere to hide?"

"Fortunately, I have a plan," said Jasfoup. "Remember those plays I commissioned from?"

"The tragedies?" Marlowe grimaced. "Of course I remember. Dreary things they were. What about them?"

"How would you like to take the name Eddie Shakespeare?"

Marlowe sniffed. "I've always seen myself as a William..."

8 comments:

Olga/Maddie said...

So Christopher becomes William and...*GG*

Hugs, lovies, and stuffs for you all. *HG*

God bless and take care. Bye, :)!
Olga/Maddie

Leatherdykeuk said...

It's a common theory.

aims said...

Just read that they were trying to exhume a plot to reveal the true identity of our dear William. So far they haven't been given the OK to go ahead. We'll see what develops.

How do you manage to write two different themes at the same time? And my dear friend - with such smooth and beautiful writing on both as well. Sometimes - truly - I sit here amazed at your ability. I say *Wow* out loud many times and shake my head in amazement. There are days when I feel that bowing at your feet is what your writing calls for.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Two themes? Do you mean Jasfoup's blag and this? Or Laverstone for Laymen? or the other one-offs I write (and post only to my livejournal since they require 'unpublished' status) or the novel I'll be writing next month?

aims said...

All of the above - how do you do it? For me it would be like reading 2 books at once and I can't do it. My mind doesn't make the switch that easily. It stutters and grinds away thinking in another mode most of the time.

Leatherdykeuk said...

I can't really say. When I write Jasfoup, I'm immersed in that house. For Marlow, I'm treading sun-bleached old boards and for laverstone, I see the pavements. I'm also writing a one-off story about a man you kills his brother.

stephanie said...

And there it is. Wonderful. ;)

Leatherdykeuk said...

I'll have to collate and eedit all these when I'm done!