The Royale Theatre on Backgate has stood since 1910, and has only been closed during the blitz 1943-45 and for a brief stint during the 1960s when it was converted into a movie theatre and subsequently closed. It was bought, renovated and re-opened in 1974 by the Friends of The Royale, when the opening performance of The Tempest starred Sir Peter Mulgrove as Prospero.
It has an intimate 120 degree stage and seating for up to 200 patrons.
There are rumours of the existence of a number of ghosts in the theatre, notable the voice of an elderly lady who asks repeatedly if there is anybody there and a man in Restoration costume who leaves the scent of violets after him.
Sadly, there are no ghosts able to operate the sadly dilapidate pipe organ which will soon have to be replaced. Donations to the Friends, please.
Image: The director's craft: A handbook for the theatre