Monday, November 30, 2009

Moot Point

Moot Point, designated as 'an area of outstanding beauty' on the very tip of the Chilterns and accessible from the A4130 just north of Laverstone, has two legends surrounding it. It is a promontory overlooking the Nettle Valley; a natural circle of rock and scrub where no trees grow to mar the view. One legend states it was a congregation point, or moot, for all the witches of Buckinghamshire in the seventeenth century where so many feet tramped the circle that it stayed. The second declares it the point of impact of a Fallen Angel, where the fiery spirit burned all to ash in a thirty yard radius and then cursed the spot before moving on.

Belief in either legend is a moot point – extensive studies in the sixties declare the area to have an unusually high alkaline content to the meagre soil, preventing anything other than grass from growing.

Jasfoup, on the other hand, knows which of the Fallen had a pissing contest there.

11 comments:

aims said...

Dammit!

You need to have some kind of warning signal at the beginning to make sure your readers do not have hot liquids in their mouth - especially when it comes to the one two punch at the end.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Ah! But coffee- flavoured keyboards make jasfoup's day!

stephanie said...

*claps* I'm so glad (reading Aim's comment) that I am not the only one! ;)

Leatherdykeuk said...

It's a long time since I caught you out, madam!

Anonymous said...

I want not approve on it. I regard as warm-hearted post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to be familiar with the sound story.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thank you sweetie :)

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Brim over I agree but I dream the post should acquire more info then it has.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Guys, this is a piece of flash fiction.

Anonymous said...

Brim over I agree but I about the brief should prepare more info then it has.

Leatherdykeuk said...

lads...this is fiction...