Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Before Creation

"So let me get this straight," said Julie. "Your God, the god of the Hebrews and Christians was originally El, the god of the Sumerians and Canaanites?"

"Essentially," said Jedith. "Before I was made, of course, though I have always existed, just as God has, for he made me on the second day."

"This would be on the second day of creation, or the second day of his reinvention?"

"Creation, of course, though to be fair there was a 'before then'."

"And the Canaanites?"

"The descendants of the Ugarites, though also the people of the first murderer."

"I have to counterbalance that with the concept of there being no death prior to that, so Cain couldn't possibly have predicted the consequences. It was manslaughter at worst."

"He hit his brother with a stick this big." Jedith held her hands a yard apart. She lowered her voice. "Don't look now, but I bet Jasfoup thinks we're taking about him."

Julie giggled.

4 comments:

aims said...

I giggled too.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thank you :)

stephanie said...

*laughs*

My third time reading this, and I still love it. :)

Leatherdykeuk said...

third?
I recycle too much!