Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Hibernation

Jasfoup crouched on all fours and shone a torch up the pipe. It led underneath a large pile of logs, leaves and old straw. Julie stood to one side, her arms crossed and her hands holding her elbows. Her breath steamed in the cold, autumnal air.

Jasfoup looked up at her. "What did you build it for?"

"For hedgehogs to hibernate in," she said. "A lot of them die from cold this time of year."

"They're flea-ridden rodents," said Jasfoup, "but I can see your point. They do eat slugs and snails and so on. I can't see any in there, though."

"There was one, I know," said Julie. "I just want to make sure he's all right."

Jasfoup nodded. "I'm not putting my hand in," he said. "They're vicious little beggars." He looked up at the imp on her shoulder. "Send Wrack."

3 comments:

stephanie said...

*chuckles* But of course that's the solution. :)

aims said...

Are they really vicious? I thought they were just all cute and prickly looking.

Now if it were a badger.....

Leatherdykeuk said...

Steph -- that's what imps are for!

Aims - The are vicious, but they're usually frightened and will run if they can. Inside a burrow, though...