Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Separate Holidays

Harold dropped the suitcase next to the door, crossed the stairs and called up to his daughter. "Lucy? Are you ready? Tom will be here in a minute with the taxi and you need to be ready."

"One minute!" The teenager's voice drifted down the stairs. "I'm just putting my make-up on."

Harold turned back to the kitchen and looked out of the window in case that made the taxi come sooner. "Make up?" he said. "She's fifteen!"

"And has been wearing makeup for five years now. She's so good at it you never notice, Harold." Julie pressed two envelopes into his hands. "Here's your tickets, boarding passes, itineries."

"Itineries? We're not going on separate holidays, you know."

Julie laughed. "A fifty year old man with his fifteen year old daughter? You might both be going to Paris but you're definitely having separate holidays."

Harold huffed. "I only look like I'm in my late twenties, though."

8 comments:

martha said...

Oh, is he in for a rude awakening!!
Nicely observed!

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thanks Martha -- I have a pre-teen daughter too ;)

aims said...

A very rude awakening! I wonder what he'll do with his free time?

Leatherdykeuk said...

Enjoy Paris!
or else leave Lucy to enjoy Paris and enjoy Disneyland instead.

Spiky Zora Jones said...

Happy Holidays sweetie.

xxx

Leatherdykeuk said...

And to you too :)

stephanie said...

Oh, I want to know about this trip! Does he at least take her to Maxim's? Does she drag him to Montmartre?

Leatherdykeuk said...

*laughs*
I have no idea - it's still fourteen years away for me!