Thursday, January 07, 2010

Holy Mackerel


"Fish and chips?" Harold held the pencil above the list and raised an eyebrow.

"Please." Jasfoup checked the calendar. "Is it Friday already?"

"No, it's Tuesday. I never did understand all that 'fish on Friday' guff."

"It's the Catholics," said Jasfoup. "They liked the idea of fasting but not the going hungry bit so they elected to not eat meat on Fridays. God counts fish as vegetables, apparently."

"I see." Harold wrote 'cod and chips' on the piece of paper. "Was the mackerel particularly special in the scriptures? Is that what the apostles used to catch on the Sea of Galilee?"

Jasfoup frowned. "I don't follow..."

"Holy Mackerel?"

"I see! No, that came from the Sermon on the Mount, or one of them, anyway. Jesus said 'we are all fish and God has the net to save us'.

"He didn't mention canning factories, then?" Harold thumped Jasfoup's arm lightly. "Let's hope God doesn't sell his catches on the market, eh?"

4 comments:

aims said...

Is that where it came from!

Leatherdykeuk said...

Indeed!

stephanie said...

*laughs* Now I know. I feel like I'm sharing an inside joke. :)

Leatherdykeuk said...

*chuckles*