Friday, February 05, 2010

At the Milliner's

"What will you do if you're elected mayor?" asked Jasfoup. He was trying on a rather splendid trilby Harold was quite jealous of. He hoped the demon discarded it.

"I shall close the library," said Harold. "That will drive people to the bookshops and increase my profit margins." He handed Jasfoup a straw boater. "Here, try this."

"Closing the libraries is a terrible policy," said the demon, putting down the trilby and jamming the boater over his ears. "Not everyone can afford to buy all their reading material. You'll create a state of rich literates and poor illiterates who become poorer and poorer because their lack of education keeps them as underdogs. No, Harold, libraries should be kept open, subsidised heavily and prevented from censorship by narrow-minded librarians."

"That's collectivist talk," said Harold. "Where did you learn that. You should be all for censorship and oppression."

"Biblically, I agree, old chap." Jasfoup picked up the trilby again. "But socially I'm all for the liberation of the individual and the freedom to sin. In order to sin, one must have knowledge of morality, and thus access to literature." He handed Harold a ladies' bonnet. "If I were you, I'd keep your policies under your hat."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
aims said...

Well - I can certainly see how your ideas apply dear Jasfoup. What I can't see is Harold in a ladies' bonnet.

Leatherdykeuk said...

He looks very fetching. And they're coming to fetch him now...

stephanie said...

*smiles* But of course, this whole conversation. Clever, the both of them.

Leatherdykeuk said...

I do ramble on, don't I?