Monday, February 08, 2010

Playing Games

"Stop playing games, Harold. Do you want me or not?"

Something about Gillian's tone of voice filtered into Harold's subconscious and he looked up into the violet eves of his vampire partner. "I wish you wouldn't wear those contacts for everyday use," he said. "They were expensive."

"I don't care," she said. "It's not like I'm going to damage my eyesight, is it?"

"I suppose not," he conceded. "What did you mean 'do I want you?' Of course I want you. I love you. Mostly."

"You have a funny way of showing it." Gillian ran a fingernail down his cheek, leaving a line of blood in its wake. He grabbed her hand, his eyes narrowing. "You spend more time playing that game," she said, "than you do off it. When I do get you to turn the computer off you go off with Jasfoup. Anyone would think it was him you were married to."

"It's an important game." Harold gestured at the screen. "Playing through the thousands of possible outcomes of the apocalypse will pinpoint the best areas of the world to invest in. At the moment, Cambodia has a 76% chance of surviving intact. I sent Jasfoup to scout out real estate there."

"So you'd rather sit there looking at post-apocalypse Earth than make love all night."

"Well..." Harold paused his game. "If you put it like that..."

"Good. Now hurry up. I've only got an hour."

4 comments:

aims said...

Love the last line!

Leatherdykeuk said...

:) Thanks Aims!

stephanie said...

*laughs* Harold should learn better time management! It's not as if Gillian's days and nights are all that flexible.

Leatherdykeuk said...

He should! Exactly!