Friday, March 05, 2010

Just Cause


Ada opened the door, the baby on her hip, and smiled at the smartly dressed mother and daughter tag team. She'd guessed who they were before opening the door. She'd seen them next door but one while she was re-hanging the curtains in her bedroom. They often brought a child with them. It deflected hostility. People that thought it acceptable to shout at women often baulked at shouting at children.

"Have you heard the Good News?" they began.

"I have," she said, putting them on the defensive. "Lucifer filed a harassment suit against God. He's claiming 'defamation of character'."

The mother frowned, tried to process the information, failed and returned to the script. "The Good News is that God wants to save us all."

"What? Even the gays? and the Muslims? and the Rastafarians? Splendid?"

"Er... If they repent their ways, yes."

"Repent? Stop being gay, you mean, or black or foreign?"

"Well..." The woman looked more doubtful and tried another tack. "Did you know the End of Days is coming?"

Ada nodded. "I did, yes. Sarah Palin's asking to be re-elected. There'll be a world-wide run on white paint, you watch."

The woman gave up. "Can I leave you a pamphlet?"

8 comments:

aims said...

You are just so great! Truly!

Laughing over here my friend!

Leatherdykeuk said...

hehe Thanks Aims :)

DJ Kirkby said...

Could Ada come round mine and answer my door for me please?

Leatherdykeuk said...

*laughs*
Madame de le Pardo does a good line too.

martha said...

I love that. I get Jehovah's Witnesses 2 or 3 times a year and they always call when I'm working. I've been known to be quite rude.

Leatherdykeuk said...

I used to be rude. I'm more patient now -- I explain the errors in their Biblical logic.

stephanie said...

*laughs* You always said you wanted to be Ada. ;)

Leatherdykeuk said...

I already am, just without the glamours!