Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Nautical Terms

"Come on, Harold," said Jasfoup, thrusting a could at the bewildered shopkeeper. "Julie can hold the fort. We have to go and rescue Ada. She's three sheets into the wind!"

"Mum's drunk?" Harold struggled to get into his coat, finish his cup of tea and open the door at the same time. Something had to give – he lost his grip on the mug. "That was my Harry Potter mug."

"Nobody reads Harry Potter any more Harold. Who cares about wizards when there are twinkly vampires available?"

"Sparkly, I think you'll find. I tried to give Gillian some body glitter. You should see the look she gave me!" He climbed into the van and started it up. "Mum drunk!" He clipped in his seatbelt while the wind buffeted the van. "I've never seen mum drunk!"

"I didn't say she was drunk. I said she was three sheets into the wind. She's on the boating lake."


Art by Barbara Lavallee

4 comments:

aims said...

Ummmm - I'm just listening to the Potter books now!

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thats the trouble with leaving books in a mmagical field. They become sentient and never shut up again!

stephanie said...

*chuckles* I can imagine Ada doing a great many things, but boating...?

Leatherdykeuk said...

I've no idea why she was on the lake. Lost her hat, perhaps.