Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Thin White Lord

Felicia looked at the clock when her stomach rumbled, wondering if it was lunchtime yet but 10:15 was a little early. She glanced into the gallery as she reached for the coffee, spotting a tall, thin gentleman in a white suit. Improbable at the best of times but could it be..?

He turned as if he'd felt her watching and she let out her held breath. No, he was too thin even for him and he didn't have odd eyes. She opened the door. "Can I help you sir?"

He strode forward, offering his hand. His smile reminded her of old cadavers, their skin stretched taught across bone and his handshake was impossibly strong, despite their thinness. "My dear lady," he said, his voice carrying the twin accents of English and Arabic, the traditional 'gentleman abroad'. "I do hope so. I was told you had an original Giacometti... So beautiful..."

"I do, actually, though it's quite expensive." Felicia showed him into gallery three, there the stick thin sculpture of a dog stood on a plinth.

"So beautiful," the man said again. "I had one just like it, for a short time."

"As thin as that?" Felicia frowned. "But..."

"My card." He handed her a piece of plastic with the image of a feather etched into it. "You can call me Raheb. I believe you know my sister Jedith."

"But Jedith's one of the Four..." Felicia gulped. "Oh."

"Quite."

"May I offer you a coffee?"

"Please. Black, no sugar." Rahab patted his hollowed chest. "No calories for me."

4 comments:

aims said...

Not so sure I'd have said 'Oh' - more like 'Eeek'!

Lovely how Felicia kept her cool and showed her proper manners.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Nod and smile and curtsey while you think...

stephanie said...

Oh my. Is there more? I'm so far behind...

Leatherdykeuk said...

Not of this tale, not yet.