Thursday, March 04, 2010

vignette from 'A Devil for Furs'

"This could be significant." Sergeant Peters held up a piece of paper folded into quarters. "It looks like a confession."

"Where was it?" White used a folded latex glove to take it from him. Peters' prints were already on it – no need to add more.

"Underneath the bureau drawer, sir. There's a little compartment if you take the drawer out." He reached inside. "There's a key too. Looks to belong to a jewellery box."

"See if you can find what it fits." White sat at the kitchen table where the window offered the best light and teased open the letter.

"August 10th 1951.
My dearest Jane,

I'm so sorry. Can you ever forgive me? I lost my temper and it was unfortunate that you and Laurence were there to witness it. Doctor Weber has suggested a sanatorium for a week or two – ice cold drenches should cure me of this demon inside, he says.

I will return on the 30th, and hope you will find it in your heart to have me back.

Your loving husband, Frederick."

Inspector White stared out at the garden but his mind was miles away, remembering his own father's sudden bursts of temper after he de-mobbed. Could this be the pattern here? Was the Laurence mentioned in the letter the seventy year old Laurence Carter, currently cooling in the morgue? Anything was possible.

4 comments:

aims said...

Indeed anything is!

Leatherdykeuk said...

Indeed!

stephanie said...

I want to know what the key fits!

But if Laurence "witnessed" the event... Perhaps a confession, perhaps not. Peters should proceed with caution.

Leatherdykeuk said...

It is a clue to the murders, if not the murderer.